Introduction: TWD Fan Artwork

Are you a serious fan of any of the sci-fi, horror, or illusion shows out right now? Past demo 'em the bon AND upcycle unwanted products in the physical process!

I made this TWD Fan Artistic production "Lucille" Bat & Expose Shelf from discarded pallets that were leaning against a dustbin in my locality. I wood-turned one of the underpin boards (the stringer boards) that happened to be 4x4 x 36", and so recovered ii boards with a lot of character to make most of the display shelf. Scraps of pine were old for the supports, and so Pure Color Property, NON-VOC stains were used (leftover from other projects) to first color the bat, and then to minimal brain dysfunction the . . uh . . "fictional character".

Step 1: Hunt Downward a Pallet surgery Two & Bestir oneself.

This is me - finding some discarded pallets (and Lucille is in this batch)! When you get home, use your safety equipment and follow the manufacturer's directions on your power tools/hand tools.

1. Dismantle the pallets. I in use a jigsaw (Sawzall aside Milwaukee) to rapidly cut off through the nails with a woodwind/metal blade.

2. Separate the pallet stringers (the support boards) the same room. You MUST remove most of the nails from this table - it is CRITICAL, as IT leave be mount a powerful wood lathe and you could chip off blades, or incur serious injuries if you aren't careful! I used a small hole power saw and bu trained down a bit since I knew I'd be removing real. When I unprotected the nails enough to hol with a Frailty Grips pliers, I softly removed them. I found the centers on from each one death by drawing a line of credit crossways the diagonal points - where they cross is the approximate center.

3. Call for the stringer to the table saw and set your fish - cut the excess points turned and begin the rounding-off process withy the shelve. I put it on the lathe and IT was still rolling around crookedly so I stopped it, and cut with a draw knife and that was quicker for me.

Whole tone 2: Wood-turn the Palette Stringer - Use Your Calipers

4. I installed the bat onto my older, but well maintained Craftsman 36" lathe. Then I barred both ends tightly. I used a young-sized aluminum at-bat as my template, and a cheap set of calipers to assure measurements from one to the other, turning on the lathe and transferring points to start chiseling and stop chiseling. I premeditated nigh 8" at a prison term because of the creature's remainder length.

TAKE YOUR TIME! You're fortunate taking disconnected thin layers and checking Sir Thomas More often than just gouging out! Continue to transfer measurements - from large end of squash racket, it's really consistent for several inches, so I turned it first.

5. At the first of all sight of taper, I measured the start of the taper and then to the thinnest point before the wield and transferred those marks, cutting the materials out slowly and carefully.

6. Finally, I measured the handle portion and the end slice, with kid gloves turning and smoothing over the end of the bat.

7. When the carving was complete, I used sand paper at 80-grit, then 120-grit and so to 330 sand.

8. I cut the ends closely with the chisels and finally sawed it unaffixed from the wood lathe; sanding both ends waxlike.

Step 3: Make Your Display Shelf!

9. I used pallet adorn boards. Optional: Remove the nails with a punch and hammer - or go out them sure fictional character . I chose to plane mine soh I remote the nails and planed the boards to the same thickness. I specifically looked for unusual boards with many defects, spalting (occurs naturally), knotholes, and bark - the "live edge" parts that prove it was once a tree. When I found two I loved - found Afterward I planed - I hand-sanded down to 600 grit. I took a pine board scrap, cut information technology into two pieces and pasted it together. I traced around the fat end of the squash racket on unmatchable man, and so roughly the handle end. I cut the bigger end to the length I wanted, with kid gloves sliver off very small amounts at once until I got it centered along the back board. And so I simply took the other set that was pasted up and held it up so I knew how far to cut down to keep the bat level. I carved these with a band saw, then sanded increasingly to 600-grit.

10. I attached them together with good quality stainless blade screws and elongate butt joints that I also used Titebond Glue on.

11. Piece they dried, I applied the first coat of ployurethan to the sides cladding up.

Step 4: Burning, Baby...burn! Woodburn, That Is...

12. Next - PYROGRAPHY! You can enjoyment a fancy wood-electrocution kit, but I had an old bonding Fe that's just overly expectant for fine bonding work. I hand-designed a draught for the logo, and and so used old-school carbon tracing paper to transfer it onto the bat, more or less where I recall they put them. I woodburned it in, and so freehand-drew the barbed wire around the fat end of the bat.

13. After all the pyrography was all over, I softly sanded with 330-grit to down any high points.

Step 5: Making Lucille a "Travel-stained Female child"

14. After pyrography is complete, I sanded down to 600-grit by hand.

15. TIME TO STAIN! I used Pure Color's Sustainable Stains & Finishes because they're NO VOC, they dry to touch in 30 minutes, and they've got a gorgeous set out of products in innovative promotional material and excellent support. No, they didn't pay Maine to say that. It's just my review! I made a mixed bag of stains, starting with French Oak tree, and added lava, Cherry, and more to create that middle brunette tone. I purposely practical it impenetrable and soft, letting it sit for a moment before I wiped IT off.

16. Lucille is a THIRSTY GIRL! At the least according to Negan... so we had to satisfy her a morsel. I mixed their cherry tree color, lava tinge, and their blue color to create a blood, and flicked it over the bat. I used the skirmish and then a syringe to make the drips and advisedly put in question prints as good. I hung it up from the handle to dry.

Step 6: Seal Information technology All!

17. Time to apply PureColorinc's awesome color line. Here's where I had a little of fun.There were still few light musca volitans, and I was staining another propose at the same clip, so I used a bit of glaze from another project to make up high- and low lights. To make a glaze, I simply blended in a trifle of color into the polyurethane. It's every last water based so I can thin or thicken it at will. It's superior stuff! I applied 3 coats to the squash racket and the shelf, sanding between each with a gentle emery sponge.

18. The final step - and the only one that'll cost you - is to buy some bat tape. IT's optional, but I liked it because the bat seems a fiddling delicate to me, and that beefed it up a trifle. I started wrapper from the bottom of the bat to about mid-way up until it started acquiring thicker, and upturned back down around. I think over IT went raised part way informed the third round.

19. Allow everything to Alcoholic! Formerly dry, you can site Lucille in her locate of honor!

Embody the Eldest to Share

Recommendations

  • Anything Goes Contest 2022

    Anything Goes Contest 2022